Monday, September 21, 2009

Friday Morning Hike - Elliot Creek / Goat Lake (baaaa)


Continuing to explore trails off of Mountain Loop Highway, on this glorious Friday morning we decided to try the Elliot Creek / Goat Lake hike. This time we left early (about 8 am) and got back early enough that I was able to answer some business emails (4 pm). Round trip, this clocks in at (a fairly strenuously moderate) 9 miles. This was the first outing for my new $250 Osprey back pack, which did take some getting used to.





Almost immediately after leaving the trailhead, you have a choice of an upper or lower version. I decided I would take the lower going to Goat Lake and this trail hugs Elliot Creek. Coming back, I’d take the upper trail and complete a loop of the area. It was a nice hike, beautiful day and I had the camera snapping away incessantly.





We got to the lake at high noon and it was another pretty Cascade Mountain lake. We tried to walk all the way around the lake but the trail we took was evidently more of a temporary path that petered out a little less than half way around. I wasn’t that keen at trying again, so we ate lunch, soaked in some sun and headed back.


The upper Elliot Creek trail is a much easier trek than the lower one and gives a totally different view.

I’ve seen trees have some pretty amazing growth patterns but this little guy gets an A+ for effort. Talk about abstract tree formation art!

Lots of water spot on the upper Elliot Creek trail and Bogie is enjoying one of the last ones before getting back to the truck.

No comments: