Thursday, August 7, 2008

Lake Mingo Trail - Vermilion Country Illinois

This was a staple of my life during 2000 and 2005, when I lived in Danville Illinois. This is a 7.25 mile long trail around a man made lake that I used to run (with Bogie) approximately 3 times a week. It is a great trail run with plenty of Illinois wild life to enjoy, challenging but not too much and feeds the spirit (as much as the body).


Here you can see a carving of the lake in a display at the park station.



Right below the sign above is a wooden box that is ... supposed ... to contain maps of the lake. I think I’ve actually seen maps in there once in the last 10 years. I thought I’d check and see (something to scan and put into the blog). Imagine my surprise when I found a birds nest, with baby birds within it, screaming “feed me some worms momma!”. Too Cute!






Here are some basic shots from the trail ... if you click the picture to enlarge ... you an see the pink evening clouds of dusk showing up reflected in the lake



Best zoom shot of a heron I could get with my crappy camera



At the 7 mile marker, we come up on the village setup in the park. Here you can see a train station that was transferred to the park from Bismarck Illinois (where I went to high school) and the old O’Leary’s train car that was moved to the park as part of the display as well.

No comments: