Sunday, March 6, 2011

Squak Mountain - South Access Road


The sun came out on Saturday and decided I wanted to go back out to Squak Mountain and try one of the alternate trails. In fact, I had the South Access Road in mind which looked to be a low impact six mile round trip hike. I didn’t expect to see that much snow and it turned out to be a few inches at the worst part, perfect for hiking.



So the blue highlighted path is the route I had taken a couple Saturdays ago (see Saturday Squak With Rocks). This hike is highlighted in orange. I found this a very nice training hike and I even ran part of the way back. That is until I fell down (tumbled actually) when Bogies leach got wrapped up with a fallen tree. In fact, I went down the trail about 1/4 mile until I decide to check that I had everything. Key (check), wallet (check), phone (check), camera, camera, camera (ah hell). There it was, sitting right next to the tree, so no need to buy another camera yet. (update on this on my next post about the Rattlesnake Ledge hike on Sunday).


So you can see, this is a very flat road and not a trail.



Snow!



The end of the road is a microwave tower and there wasn’t any payoff view at all. Did chat with a nice couple here that took a series of trails in the opposite direction to reach this point. Oddly, I met them coming down from my Sunday hike (again on my next post Sunday At Rattlesnake Ledge).


On the way back, snapped this picture of some moss covered trees. As you can see, the rapid pace down to the trailhead took its toll on the wonder dog!

No comments: