Thursday, September 3, 2009

Friday Hike On Dickerman Mountain




Last week, I went on one of my favorite hikes of the year, Dickerson Mountain over by Granite Falls. Ironically, that was not the hike I had planned on doing that day. I had planned to hike Mount Si, all the way over by North Bend (south off here, irony on top of irony). The road that I take to North Bend was closed and the alternate routes are a general pain in the butt this time of year. Making a game time decision, I headed back over to the Ice Caves area and stopped in at the ranger station. Chatted with a cute little female red haired ranger and murmured to myself that I wish I hadn’t gotten so old, fat and ugly ... anyhoo ... I misread the literature for Dickerson mountain when I selected it for our hike.

I read that the Dickerman Mountain trail was a 4.3 mile hike with spectacular views in all directions. The actual text was a 4.3 mile hike ENDING with spectacular views in all directions. So this turned out to be a 9 mile round trip, straight up and then straight down.


The hike straight up was nice and challenging. I stopped a few times to snap some pictures but basically plowed ahead without much break.

I did bring a little water but should have brought more for Bogie and me. Here you can see the only pool of water left from a waterfall and bogie was drinking it in.



Later on, I was complaining that I brought a full backpack that was full of mostly useless crap and not more water or any munchies.

Here you can see Bogie waiting for me as I munched on some wild blue berries! I was pretty much famished at this point and don’t think I’ve ever indulged in wild berries this much! Anyway, here are some more pictures, I’ll probably do another posting with a panorama of the summit views.







No comments: