Saturday, January 15, 2011

Harry And The Hendersons / Wallace Falls


About Wednesday of this week, I decided (wet weather be damned) I was going to do some sort of hike this week. I had latched on to Barclay Lake and set off to do just that this Saturday morning. A dozen or so miles from the turnoff on Route 2, I noticed more snow than I expected. When I got to the 4.5 mile forest road that leads to the trailhead from Route 2, changed my mind. I have a 4x4 and I don’t completely suck using it but those forest roads can get a little funky. Snow, mud and weekend traffic can easily lead to slipping off the road and I just wasn’t in the mood to deal with that. Besides, Wallace Falls state park that I passed on the way has a big parking lot and that seemed an admirable “Plan B”.



Now I’ve passed the Sasquatch expresso stand and Zeke’s Drive In dozens of times the five + years I’ve been out here. Since they both were on the way as I backtracked to Wallace Falls, decided to stop into both.


I didn’t know there was a little dog walking trail at Sasquatch expresso, that there was a “Harry” wood statue on that path or that the area was were some of the movie “Harry and the Hendersons” was filmed.


Had heard that Zeke’s had awesome burgers and have seen lines outside the “walk up” window during the summer months. In fact, those lines are somewhat similar to the beloved Custard Cup in my hometown of Danville Illinois. The burger was pretty good, not awesome, but still yummy.



With the late start and early sundown (4:30 PM), we didn’t have much hiking time at Wallace Falls as I had hoped.





The river and streams were very active, it was wet and plenty of folks on the trail. Still, we had a nice hike and I was able to finish another book in the Dresden Files series on my iPhone!

No comments: