Monday, May 31, 2010

Lake 22 Hike (May 2010)


We have had some pretty crappy weather the last couple weeks and rumor had it that Sunday morning was our best chance for a nice hike. We took off about 7:30 AM and it turned out to be a great time. We arrived at Lake 22 before the crowds but met most of them on the way back. Bogie received his ample number of “he is such a cute puppy” accolades and even received a hug or two. Never mind that bogie is actually 11 years old, he wears it well.

My memory of the hike last year was that it was quick, pleasant and the undergrowth prevented me from circling the lake. The hike seemed longer and more challenging to me this year. At first, I thought it was because I did a long run yesterday afternoon. After looking at last years posting, I realized it was because I had sandwiched this hike between a couple other long hikes and that made it seem short. Here is a link to last years hike. http://dwayneworld.blogspot.com/2009/09/tuesday-afternoon-hike-to-lake-22.html



Lots more water this time around and that made this late May hike a totally different one than a late September one. The waterfalls were more vibrant, loud and made the trail a bit moist in areas.


Midway through the hike you can see some great panoramas of the mountain range.




The lake was awesome and almost as great as Heather Lake (which I posted recently and that I hike often). The trail head for each of these lake hikes are next door neighbors but I don’t know how far apart they are actually.


This year, we actually made it around the lake. It was very nice and Bogie was able to get his rolling in the snow fix in.

Some folks like to play with rocks on their hikes. I mentioned this back on my Headlee Pass hike last year. In that case, it helps keep hikers on the correct path. Here it is simply fun!







Some more pictures as we trekked around the lake.



On the way back, hit a small bit of the trail that was quite mossy!

No comments: