Friday, September 2, 2011

Thursday Morning Hike Of Mount Rainer - Skyline Trail


Hiking season in the Pacific Northwest has been reduced this year due to record winter snowfalls, late snowfalls and overall cooler temperatures. I had no idea it would be the first of September before I made good on my new years resolution to visit the big mountain. However, I couldn't have picked a better day to ask off and the entire hike was glorious from the first step to the last.







Yes, bogie is missing from these pictures for a couple reasons. First off, pets are not allowed to enjoy trails within national parks. The second is that he is recovering from surgery to remove a fatty mass that has been slowly growing the last few years.





This last picture is right before reaching Panorama Point (6,227 feet). From there I had a couple options and decided to continue forward on the high trail but first ...


yes, a toilet is available here. Look at this view right as you exit the facility.




Here you can see some serious wannabe hikers going through some training on dealing with snow. I look at all the gear they are carrying and come away quite satisfied with my day hike load (being a jacket and a camera).




I'm sure the wildflowers are not a magnificent as usual this time of year. However, still wanted to try my hand at a couple shots!



No snowplow did this! Just the funny way nature on the mountain will pile up snow in one particular area.



On the way back, checked out a couple waterfalls. Check out the rainbow at the bottom of the last picture.

No comments: