Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Book Review: With A Tangled Skein

Well, I’m continuing my trek through the Piers Anthony INCARNATIONS OF IMMORTALITY series and this is the third book in the series. I was a little disappointed in the second book but really enjoyed this one. The way these books begin to blend into each other is rewarding and I’m enjoying it quite a bit.


This is the story about Niobe, of one of the aspects of Fate. It covers more of her experiences as an immortal than the previous book did on the incarnation of time. However, we do get a nice glimpse of the the life of the mortal Niobe and it feeds the story nicely. Of course, the protagonist in this story is Satan, as with the previous two books. This story is loaded with character development and I can only imagine this will pay dividends in the next few books. I’m beginning to see a trend (perhaps imagined) where one book gives you more insight on the incarnation that will be covered in the next book. Death worked with Time in the first book, Time worked with Fate in the second, Fate worked with War in the third and I’m just getting into the fourth book covering War now.

There was a bit of Xanth like action in the middle of the book in regards to an adventure to the realm of the Mountain King. It is brief and not as long as the trio of Xanth like adventures in the second book. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the Xanth books I’ve read but really looking for something quite the opposite from the same voice.

I have never read a Piers Anthony science fiction book but that is going to change soon. If for no other reason than to read his commentary at the end of each book. Which is has been delightful in the three books I’ve digested thus far.

So two thumbs up for With A Tangled Skein and you can get it practically anywhere. I’m bidding on the entire collection in hard cover right now and expect to learn that I’ve been outbid as soon as the auction is over.

No comments: